Get Your Start in Wine with the 2021 Major Taylor Fellowship
June 25, 2021
We’re proud to announce our continued partnership with Domestique Wine for the 2021 Major Taylor Fellowship, a fellowship with a mission to address, challenge, and disrupt the lack of diversity in the wine world. The second annual Major Taylor Fellowship, which Domestique first launched in July 2020, is designed to give a person of color a starting point in wine.
The three-week, stipend-based apprenticeship will give this year’s Major Taylor Fellowship recipient the opportunity to spend thirty hours a week at Domestique, learning the ins and outs of wine retail operations. After the first year of the fellowship and a year + of COVID, Domestique is looking toward strengthening and forming community more than ever. The store has formed a new advisory council that will help guide its efforts while acting as a critical resource for future fellows. The council brings together industry leaders, journalists, restaurant owners, producers, and importers, to create a collective body that will help Domestique facilitate needed change and connect like-minded leaders in the field beyond the fellowship. Also part of this committee is Kayla Mensah, Domestique’s inaugural recipient of the Major Taylor Fellowship, who is now a full-time employee.
Domestique’s advisory council includes:
– Marissa A. Ross, Wine Writer & Author of Wine All The Time: A Casual Guide to Drinking
– Cha McCoy, Sommelier & Founder, Cha Squared Consulting
– Christopher Renfro, Founder & Producer, The Two-Eighty Project
– Stephen Bitterolf, Founder, Vom Boden
– Genevieve Villamora, Co-Owner, Bad Saint
– Kayla Mensah, 2021 Major Taylor Fellow & Domestique Employee
Applications for the 2021 Major Taylor Fellowship will be open from June 22 – July 6 and the finalist will be announced during the week of July 20th. The Major Taylor Fellowship application is open to any BIPOC looking to establish a career in wine and will include a $3,000 stipend, in addition to covering housing costs.
Eligibility and Fit with the Fellowship
– Must have authorization to work in the United States and must be over the age of 21
– Must have fewer than five years of management in food or beverage industry
– June 22th – July 6th Application Live
– July 14th Semi-Finalist Selected and all applicants notified
– Week of July 20th Finalist Announced
– Schedule 3 week fellowship between the weeks of mid – late Sept
For questions, please contact [email protected]